Price Information and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Photograph and Design Service Information

Photograph questions

Card or Invitation information

Web design information

How can I get an estimate?

Ideally, I need to see the photograph to give an accurate estimate. If you have access to a scanner, you can e-mail me a copy (scanning at 150-200 dpi will be fine, saved as a .jpg or .jpeg file). If you don't have a scanner, most copy centers can help you. If scanning your picture is a problem, either e-mail or phone me and I will give you a reasonable estimate based upon your description of the work needed.

There are a number of options available for the final print reproduction. Most typically it will be a high quality photo print with either a matte or gloss finish. Another possibility would be to have the print mounted on canvas. Of course, the size and type of print will be factored into your estimate.

back to the top

How should I send my photo(s)?

To protect your original, my preference would be to have a scan produced and copied onto a CD. I can do this for you or you could take your photo to a copy center and have it scanned and put onto a CD or a zip disk. I would recommend scanning at the highest possible resolution and also making a couple of lower resolution copies (360 and 720 dpi for example). Also remember, if you want to e-mail a copy for an estimate: scan the image at 200 dpi and save it as a jpg/.jpeg file.

If you are sending an original photograph: use a photo mailer, available at most office supply, "mailbox" or copy stores. It is important that the packaging is reinforced so that no further damage will occur. Noting "Photograph - do not bend"

My mailing address is:

Bob Prichard
95 Mission Drive Mission Drive
Petaluma, CA 94952-5228

back to the top

What happens once you have the photograph?

I will contact you as soon as I receive your photo or file copy so that you know it arrived safely. I will scan or download a copy of the picture onto my computer then put your original photograph, disk and/or CD away for safe keeping. Once the restoration or editing is complete I will ship you the desired print(s), your original photograph, disk and/or CD, PLUS a new CD with the original scan and the restored or edited photo file.

back to the top

With the completed project, what do I get?

I will send the number of prints (or cards) requested and your original picture(s) or CD. In addition, I will make a CD or Zip disk that will include a copy of the original and the final edit, saved at different resolutions. You may request a number of resolutions and file types (ie. .jpeg, .jpg, .pic, .psd, .tif, etc.) for this CD.

back to the top

Do you alter the original picture?

No. I work with a computerized copy of the original. I will either have you send me a scanned copy of the original or scan it myself. The original is a good resource and sometimes it is helpful when trying to ascertain some intricate details, but it is not required to complete the work.

back to the top

What should I do if my picture is stuck to glass?

The best thing to do is to leave it alone. Either scan the photograph through the glass or send it to me intact (well protected in a package marked "GLASS FRAGILEÓ).

back to the top

Can you use any picture for an editing project?

No. You must own the rights or have permission for use of any picture for me to legally work on an edit. If you took the picture or were given the copyright by the photographer then you are OK. Otherwise you must get the permission from the owner. You can not have a picture of yours edited with just any commercially produced photograph. That buffed body model with your relatives head requires the photographers authorization for use. Copyright infringement laws prohibit my working on other's "work of art." If the project requires permission pursue the source or let me know so that I might help or offer alternatives.

back to the top

Can I scan something that is three dimensional?

Oftentimes, Yes. You don't have to limit yourself to just photos, consider other objects or a combination of both. You would be surprised how many different objects can be scanned and turned into pictures. I have successfully converted three dimensional objects (like wedding rings or a bottle of my favorite champagne) into pictures. If you have or have access to a scanner, experiment to see if your idea might work. If you are successful, then just save it as a .jpg/.jpeg file. Any color adjustments necessary can be done later. If you would like me to do the scanning, I will need you to supply the object or fund the purchase. I can't promise results but there are a number of techniques that I can try.

back to the top

What do you need for making a card (or invitation)?

Designing a card is a fun and creative experience. If you have a concept, I will work within your parameters. If you want me to design it for you, I will need some details. First, what is the event? Then, I recommend that you collect a few meaningful photographs (include pertinent information for each). If you want to have driving directions or parking details as part of the card, I will need additional information. Along with that, I can create a simple map and add it to the inside or on the back of the card (or as an insert).

The photos you supply can be scaled, color adjusted, turned into black and white or sepia toned. If the photos require editing, that too can be included in the project. How simple or complex the photo editing will be taken into account with the price estimate.

The card stock is another option. If you want the photographs printed on the card, I recommend white or a light color. Ink jet printers don't actually print white so the card color will dictate the tone of the picture(s). Also, a buff, natural or other light tan shade, can work well with sepia toned photographs.

The picture printed directly on card stock will have a matte type finish. Photo reproductions can be glued to a card if you are looking for a more photo realistic effect on a glossy paper.

The final decision you will need to consider is the font and style of the text. This can be fairly simple, fancy or really complex (multiple colors, shadows etc.).

back to the top

What is the process for making a card?

It will be simular to how I handle the photo restoration or editing projects. After you contact me and give me some details of what will be entailed, I will give you an estimate. How much editing is required? How many cards do you want printed? Once you send me your photo(s) I will call and confirm their receipt. If there is a need to adjust the estimate because of additional work, I will notify you before I proceed. Once the basic design is laid out I will e-mail you the rough draft as a picture file or I can post it on the web at a private address (not available to the general public) or I can mail you a hard copy. With your approval, I will complete the project and arrange for a quick delivery.

back to the top

Did you design your own web site?

Yes, literally from top to bottom. I have tried to organize the information with an attention to details. I believe I offer a service that is uniquely mine. ArtisticLicense was built upon the concept that each project is special and I want my web site to express just that.

If you are interested in having me design your web site, please contact me by e-mail. We will need to discuss what information you hope to post as well as the use of pictures. There is no set fee because there are so many variables that need to be considered first.

back to the top

The photographs, images and other digital works
contained herein are the sole property of Bob Prichard.
© 2002 - copyright Bob Prichard, ArtisticLicense
Photography, Digital Editing and Photo Restoration